Thursday, September 3, 2009

Minnesota State Fair...

**Warning - this post contains an extreme amount of pictures, read on at your own risk! :)

Alex and I went to the MN State Fair with our friends, Max & Becki (we're both new to being single parents, living in MN with NO family, rambunctious autistic sons and have been giving each other lots of moral and physical support!).

We parked at the Mall of America and boarded the State Fair shuttle:


LOOK at all of these people (at 11am!):



1st up on this one's agenda was an icee:


The big slide:



MN is known for it's sweet corn (but I've heard that's it's nowhere near as good as Iowa's!!) and they are also big on recycling! I saw on the news that they're taking the cobs and recycling them into horse feed:


And this is the reason I come to the fair, FOOD!!!
MN is also all about their cheese curds:


Carousel fun:


See that lil thing in the sky? We're riding on one in this picture, all FOUR OF US in one little dangling capsule!



I got SO excited when I saw these people! Although it turned out that their pickles were whole, fried on a stick (the MN State Fair tries to make everything they can on a stick, it's their thing!) and I wasn't in the mood for burning the top of my mouth biting into a whole deep fried pickle, so I passed. Very disappointed :(


MN is the birthstate to Charles Schultz, so there are Peanuts characters scattered all around the Twin Cities:

We rode this, even though I felt like I was on a ski lift and was ready to take a shot of Baileys before we hit the powder, but I snapped back to reality and was at the fair!



Antique tractor shot for one of my readers who's a lil queer about tractors:


Another food stop:


This cool ride was Alex's fave at the fair:


Max's fave:


Seriously fast slide that Alex rode twice he liked it so much:


Off to see the animals!


Alex loved, loved, loved the baby piggies and thank goodness we couldn't touch them because he might have snuck one out under his sweatshirt!!

Alex was so not a fan of this, but he did it, only wouldn't bounce very high and definitely NO flips:
After being traumatized at the bouncy thing, he felt better after some cotton candy:

To end the fun day, FRIED OREOS baby!!!:

Which made me feel like this:


It was a very fun, long day - Alex fell asleep on the bus back to the car, in the car back to Max's house and in my car on the way to our house! Dang, I forgot to get funnel cake...may have to go back before it ends! ;)

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Jonnelle, I am so happy that you and Alex have Max and Becki! God is so sweet to put people in our lives that we need! The State Fair looks like a blast! I had fun just looking at Alex having fun! I love and miss you all so much!

RHMandK Brown said...

I actually laughed out loud at the part where you said you felt like the boar....too funny. What a great day!

carriefish said...

yup, picture heavy and I loved it! Wish we'd had as much fun at our county fair (a storm showed up on us). Glad you have some great friends to hang out with and lean on :)

amber said...

oh my, those deep fried oreo's are the best, aren't they! i just ate some last week when i was at the tulsa state fair...oh so yummy!