Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Goodwill Hunting and a disaster...

On my mind today:

If you haven't shopped at Goodwill, GO! Yesterday Andy's comment upon seeing our new wine table ("I thought that you just dropped things off at Goodwill and could only shop there if you were 'in need'?") was exactly what I had thought up until a few months ago, but no-sirree, they LOVE it when you come in to shop because the money you spend goes towards community education programs! I've gotten lots of glass w/lid containers for my flowers in my craft room and some awesome pieces of white hobnail milkglass to add to my collection, all ranging from $.49 - $4.99!!! I've gotten some books there too, usually for $.99 and I end up either passing them on to others or just donating them right back to Goodwill.

So here are my treasures from my hunting trip yesterday:
wine table: $6.99 - matches our table perfectly and I plan to cover the top with wine corks that I've been saving for a project (I had originally thought to put some tiles on there, but that would require grout and such, so the lightbulb went off that I had three bags full of wine corks that we've been saving for years from much enjoyed bottles of wine and how perfect to line the top of a wine table with wine corks??).
glass bud vase $.99 - somehow mine didn't make the move, very sad since I got it from an estate sale in St. Pete and have a matching footed candy dish.
small white hobnail bud vase $.49
white hobnail pot $.99 - I think I'll plant a violet in it.
silver two-tier server $1.99 - I just love tiered servers, I'm in the market for a Fiesta Ware one!
white milk glass bowl with pour spout $.99 - I'm going to use this as my trash bowl (if you don't know what a trash bowl is, go watch some Rachel Ray!!)
Not only do I loose weight on the South Beach Diet, but I really enjoy the recipes, so Andy bought me this at Target the other night:
It's got all different recipes from the original book that I have and I'm making a list of items needed from the grocery to try some of the new recipes! If I have to diet, I really enjoy the South Beach, I like having my meals planned ALL out for me, not to mention that I get 3 meals, 2 snacks and dessert every day!
Look at this sweet little treasure Alex brought home from school yesterday (the plant, not the bowl - which, sorry Aunt Jenny, we don't use this awesome bowl often because it's SO special that I'm terrified to use it except on special occassions and now, it's got the perfect purpose and won't be subject to spoons or washing to chip it!):
Of course Andy said, "it's just grass Jonnelle!", but it's grass that my sweet little man planted himself in a little plastic cup that he accidentally dropped when he got home, the cup split and he was sad, so it is extra-special and we put it in an extra-special bowl and placed it on the wine table, it is perfect there!!
Okay, in closing, the disaster:
This is my beloved baking stone - that is a WELL-seasoned stone, I've had it since Andy and I were dating, living in TN, it's cooked so many delights and I dropped it last night on the tile floor (which luckily wasn't damaged because my foot broke the stone's fall - ouch!) and it split in two. VERY sad. I must rush out and get a new one, TODAY!!
Hope you're having a wonderful Wednesday!

3 comments:

3 Great Girls said...

MAddy and I want to go and see what we can find since you have so much good stuff. We may go tomorrow!
Is your foot ok?

Kristi said...

WOW!! Great finds!!!!! I've never used a "seasoned stone", first, what makes it "seasoned", second, can you cook anything on it??? I would love to hear about it!! I think I have one(a round pizza stone??)somewhere in my pantry, but I've never opened it??
I also need details about the South Beach Diet!! I'm in need of something!! I overeat on WW, Atkins made me sick, and very irritable, so maybe I should try this, email the basics so I will see if I need to go buy the book!
I hope your foot is ok!!
Love Alex's bowl!!

Dawn said...

I need to do me some 'Goodwill Hunting'. What AWESOME (bargain) finds! Sorry about your baking stone. I LOVE mine and would be really bummed out if it broke. It may be one of my most expensive dishes-LOL!! I hope your foot is okay!
I totally get the whole grass replanting thing. That is such a Dad thing to say. Moms just 'get it'. It is in our job description. I need to get that new South Beach Diet book. I have the other 2. I need to get myself in better shape and healthier. I'm not getting any younger...