First I went to Kraft.com because they have such good yet easy recipes - love it, if you haven't signed up for it, do it, it's free, they send you a magazine four times a year and weekly emails filled to the brim with ideas!
I made the Apple-Walnut Chicken Bake - so simple and delicious, reminded me of Thanksgiving.
Next up was Apple Cream Crumble Tart - cream cheese with apples and strueselly topping, how can you go wrong?! I didn't have a tart pan, so I used my springform pan (the one that usually used for cheesecakes) and I didn't roll out my pie crust because I used the Pillsbury one that's already rolled in a circle - love it!! It was yuuuhhuum.
The last thing that I made was Ms. Windle's Fresh Apple Pound Cake. Here's a picture of it:
See that little spot on the bottom right that's missing? I nabbed it as soon as it came out of the oven, it's a tradition for me to do that with Ms. Windle's pound cakes!!
Sorry, no recipe for this one:(
You can thank my sister (Jen) for that - when I told her that Julie (Ms. Windle's youngest daughter) had sent me a recipe for an apple pound cake that "might be as good as Ms. Windle's original pound cake" (Julie's words, not mine, it was delish, but the original is still the bomb!), Jen asked me to send her the recipe and I said, "I'll put it on my blog if it's okay with Ms. Windle."
Boy howdy, you should heard the high pitch her voice took! She said, "NO way. Ms. Windle's recipes are family secrets, you cannot put them out there for all of the world. Our family needs some secret recipes and they are Ms. Windle's pound cakes!"
So, even though Ms. Windle isn't technically related to us (her daughter Paula, aka Pokie, is my oldest friend from back in our teen days and her family is my second family in Tally!), she has kindly shared her recipes with us and made them for us over the years (knowing that I was going to pick at the crunchy top before it got sliced and served!), so they'll remain our family secret! I owe it to my sis for all of the times that I was such a brat to her growing up (even though she has repaid me with being blond, skinny and gorgeous even at 40!), Ms. Windle's original pound cake was the first cake that my sister ever made (at the age of 30 which resulting in setting of the smoke alarms, but that's a whole other post!), so my sis has kindof the say on all pound cakes that are Ms. Windle's!
Well, thanks for hanging in there for this super-long post:) I know, such a teaser post with a picture of a delicious cake and no recipe to go along with it, man I stink! Would it help if I told you that there was shredded coconut in the apple pound cake as well. That only makes it worse, doesn't it? Sorry;)
Hope you're Thursday is terrific!






7 comments:
YUM.. Everything sounds absolutely delish!!
It is a good thing I just had lunch, you are making me hungry. Everthing looks/sounds yummy!
No recipe..... Thats it!
hehehe
Enjoy your cake and secret! It looks oh so yummy.
Can you come cook for me? I would be forever grateful!!! :-)
Oh man, the apple walnut chicken bake sounds absolutely delicious!! The picture of your apple pound cake (I hope that's right) makes my mouth water. I need to come over to your house for dinner-I think I have forgotten how to cook!! Thanks for inspiring me!
That apple pound cake looks so good! You are always cooking and baking...I bet your house constantly smells yummy! Your boys are so lucky to have you for a wife/mommy! I'll have to try the apple walnut chicken. Thanks for the link!
that looks yummy!
i do that kraft foods mag too! can't beat it! most of it i don't make though, as my hubby is not a big casserole guy. but really i just like getting something so nice for free!
Post a Comment