Sunday, July 27, 2008

Florida or bust....

Every year my family gets together at Cape San Blas, FL, in the panhandle, just 1 1/2 hours south of where I grew up in Tallahassee. Cape San Blas is an incredible peninsula with the beach/ocean on one side and the bay on the other side. We rent a house on the bay side so that we can keep our boats at the dock in front for the entire week and almost literally scallop off our dock. My Maw rents a condo on the beach side, complete with a pool! Our daily routine is to get up, breakfast w/ Scuba Steve as the short order cook, make everyone's lunch sandwich for the day, fill the coolers on the boats, and head out to scallop. I LOVE to scallop - snorkel through the salt water collecting little shells filled with yummy goodness, life doesn't get any better, unless you count getting back to the dock just in time for rum-punch-o'clock! The kids are all old enough now that we send them over to Maw's to swim in the pool/play at the beach and just get spoiled by their Maw. Life is good at the beach! Yea, I'm having vacation withdrawls, so sorry about the rambling, here are some pictures:



Just dropped the crab trap far out in the bay and looking for a sandy spot to anchor to go scallopin!


My fave guys! Alex, Andy, Connor and Logan (my nephews!)


After a hard day of playing, breathing fresh salty air, this is what Connor and his shadow, Alex, could be seen doing - these two are like two peas in a pod and they have two speeds, GO and sleep.


One day was terribly windy, so rather than fight choppy water, we sent the boys to the beach and us girlies headed to Appalachia Bay for a day of shopping and of course grouper sandwiches and key lime pie at the Grill for lunch! YUM!
l-r: me, Jen (my sis), Haley (my step-daughter), my Aunt Vicky (Leah's sister-in-law) and Leah (my awesome step-mom)


No, we're not aliens! Have you heard of candling your ears? Well, Leah introduced us to it and we all loved it!! Everyone did it except Dad, Andy and Alex (he would not sit still long enough to do it and I could forsee something catching on fire due to his wiggliness - as for the two other big boys who didn't do it and probably needed it done more than anyone else there, they just thought we were doing some voodoo act and wouldn't be in the same room with us at the time!).


This boy loves his PawPaw!! My dad has a do-rag just like the one Alex is wearing and I hate that I didn't get a picture of the two of them both in them, but there's always next year!

Maw with her great-grand babies

Huey, Dewey and Louie!

Growing like weeds this crowd is! The cute guy on the left is my cousin Phillip from Canada who is now living with my parents, working for my dad - the boys all love him and we're glad that he's gotten to come to the beach with us two years in a row!

Jen & Stevie - she's gonna kill me posting this on my blog because she had "no makeup on!", but she's still so stinkin perty!


Jen and I with our parents - couldn't ask for a better family!!
yea, didn't get a ton of pictures this year, usually Andy is the resident photographer, but Stevie took that role on, so I'm waiting for him to send me copies of his pictures (HINT, HINT!)!!!


2 comments:

Dawn said...

Hey I missed you! Guess I got a lot of catching up to do. I LOVE Florida. I lived there for 3 years myself, in Daytona. Even tho I am born and raised a New England girl, I truly think I was supposed to be a southerner. What great family pics. I guess you better get a'scrappin'. :-)

Kristi said...

I had never heard of scalloping before! Don't you just love ear candles. Sounds like a great trip, I'm jealous!